Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What Are the Benefits?

When it comes right down to it, the one question you must ask yourself is - What are the benefits of what I am doing?  I.E. What are the benefits of losing weight?

In my opinion, here are some of the benefits for me.

1. I feel much better about myself.

Since I am doing this for me - first and foremost - then I am reaping all the rewards, and since I am in control, I am the one telling myself what to do.  In essence, I am the one who can look at myself and say - you are doing great, and then pat myself on the back, and this makes me feel good about ME.

Do I really believe I am not getting outside help?  Yes and no; there is no real help coming from my friends and family, per say, but there is God in my life who I know is also encouraging, strengthening, and supporting me, but it had to start with me.  God can assist but not unless I do it; without me doing it, He cannot help.  With that thought in mind, I do feel much better about myself because I started this process, and I am the one who decided I could stay with it and succeed.

2. My overall health is better.

Of course, my overall health would get better because I am carrying around a lot less weight.  In addition, I am using my cane a lot less for walking.  After my first knee surgery, I had a lot of problems with the new knee, and the foot on that leg also created a number of problems, the least of which was when it developed drop-foot; in case you don't know what that is, it is when the toes turn under causing you to basically trip over them or catch them on anything that gets in the way.  After my second knee surgery, which went much better and the knee healed better, I was using a walker because of weakness in both knees.  I did eventually do away with the walker in the house, but if I took a longer walk outside, I still needed it.  Now I walk without the cane in the house, and sometimes outside of the house for short distances, and when I take longer walks outside, I can do it with just my cane.  You see, sometimes my toes still turn under especially if I have not been doing my exercises with my foot.

Besides the walking, my blood pressure has gone down as a result of the weight loss, and that is always a good thing. 

The last health issue is 'metabolic syndrome,' which means I was borderline diabetic.  I was on insulin once a day and a pill for to regulate blood sugar twice a day.  As the weight came off, my sugar levels went down and my doctor stopped the insulin, and later reduced to pill to once a day and then lowered the dosage of the pill.  He is hopeful that at my next check up, I will not even need that pill.

I love being healthier.  It also means I do not tire as easily because I have more energy.

3. I work out more at the gym, which I am truly enjoying.

More about that and other benefits next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment